Mrs Panagiota Poupi recently donated to the National Library the photographic archive of her brother Giorgos Poupis (1950-2018).The archive consists of photographs taken all over Greece between 1980 and 2017, as well as many slides and negatives. Several of the photographs have been delivered in digital format.
Giorgos Poupis began to work in photography during his studies in Milan, apprenticing with famous photographers, and in 1975 he moved to Paris, where he attended photography and plastic arts courses. He photographed towns and villages, landscapes, archaeological sites, Byzantine and modern monuments, works of art and portraits of people. He has held many solo exhibitions in Greece and abroad, such as in Paris, Milan, Athens, Patras, Sifnos, but mainly in Thessaloniki (Eirmos gallery, Mount Athos Hestia, “Milos” venue, Thessaloniki Water Supply Museum).
In addition, the archive includes photographs from the period 1970-1980 from Italy and France, as well as later travel shots from Egypt, the United States, and archaeological sites on the coasts of Asia Minor, Cappadocia and Jordan. Part of the archive related to Mount Athos has already been handed over by Mrs. Poupi to the Mount Athos Center in Thessaloniki.
The documents of the donation can be studied in the Reading Room of the Department of Manuscripts and Copies of the National Library of Greece, as they have been included in the archival collections of the National Library of Greece.