Play Therapy is a specialized form of Psychotherapy that is mainly addressed to children from 3-12 years old.
It is also used with adolescents and adults who are open to therapies through Art.
Through play, the person can express repressed thoughts and feelings thanks to the symbolic distance. The therapist encourages the individual’s free expression by setting boundaries only where necessary, while observing his/her choices, decisions, and the way he/she plays and relates. The goal is to enable the individual to express themselves in healthier and more functional ways so that they can maintain better relationships and live a more fulfilling life.
In this workshop, participants will be given the opportunity to:
- Understand what Play Therapy is and how it differs from therapeutic play.
- To explore how they can use Play Therapy techniques to detect a child’s issues, difficulties and resources, communication patterns, how they relate, etc. Based on the above, they will be asked to design a treatment plan and evaluate the effectiveness of different interventions.
- Identify the stages of the child’s play and the difference between “normal” and “abnormal” play.
- To experiment with different media (therapeutic stories and fairy tales, poetry, metaphor, projection cards, music, clay, painting, theatre, sand, miniatures, etc.) to see how they can be applied to different populations, and according to the individual needs of each one.
- To use symbolic distance to be in touch with their feelings in order to control their countertransference.
Experiential exercises are the core of the Workshop. Theoretical connections will be made in parallel, based on the material that emerges from the experiential process and the sharing of it.
Who it is for:
The workshop is open to people with different backgrounds, such as people who wish to retrain in an Art Therapy program, people who wish to incorporate the knowledge and experiences from the workshop into their existing work, and people who have a general interest in Play Therapy.
Days and times:
Saturday and Sunday
5 & 6
(8 + 8 hours)
A certificate of attendance will be issued.
For more information and application forms:
Email: [email protected]