The Department of Theatre Studies of the University of Peloponnese has the pleasure to invite you to the proclamation of Ioanna Papantoniou as Honorary Doctor of the Department on Thursday 15th June 2023 at 12.00 at the FOUGARO ARTCENTER art space in Nafplio.
In the context of the ceremony, Mrs. Ioanna Papantoniou will deliver a speech entitled: “Inspirations…”
The ceremony is open to the public.
The President of the Department of Theatre Studies
Professor Angeliki Spyropoulou
Biographical note of the honored
Ioanna Papantoniou was born in Athens. She studied stage design and costume design at the Wimbledon School of Art in London. She has designed sets and costumes for all state theatres, Alexis Solomos’ “Proscenium” theatre, the Karolos Koun Art Theatre, the Minoti-Paxinou company, and for Michael Elliott at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester, UK.
From 1956 to 1966 she was involved in field costume research as a member of the Lyceum of Greek Women of Athens, of which she is a major donor. In 1974 she founded the Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation “V. Papantoniou Foundation (now the Vassilis Papantoniou Foundation), in memory of her father Vasileios. The Foundation was awarded the European Museum of the Year Award (EMYA) in 1981 and the Athens Academy Award in 2013 for its contribution to Greek culture. In 2003, he founded the Hellenic Society of Costume Studies.
He taught at the Departments of Theatre Studies of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, the University of Patras, and the University of Peloponnese. She holds an honorary doctorate in the Department of History and Archaeology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
She has been awarded the Academy of Athens Prize (1981), the Golden Cross of the Order of the Phoenix by the President of the Republic Konstantinos Stephanopoulos (2000), the “Panos Aravantinos” Award of the Centre for the Study and Research of the Greek Theatre (2004), the Lifetime Achievement Award of the European Museum Academy (2013) and the “Ioannis Kapodistrias” Award for Sciences, Letters, and Arts of the Municipality of Nafplion (2022).
- Arrival at the FUGARO Nafplio art space, 11.45 am – Start of the ceremony.
- Address by the Rector of the University of Peloponnese, Professor Athanasios Katsis.
- Address by the Dean of the School of Fine Arts, Professor Christos Kardaras.
- Address by the Chair of the Department of Theatre Studies, Professor Angeliki Spyropoulou.
- Eulogy of the honored by the Professor of the Department of Theatre Studies Maria Velioti-Georgopoulou and the Assistant Professor of the Department of Theatre Studies Ioanna Papadopoulou. – Reading of the resolution of the Assembly of the Department by
- President of the Department, Professor Angeliki Spyropoulou. – Reading of the doctoral degree by the Rector of the University of Peloponnese, Professor Athanasios Katsis.
- The honorary doctorate of Mrs. Ioanna Papantoniou by the President of the Department of Theatre Studies, Professor Angeliki Spyropoulou.
- The Rector of the University of Peloponnese, Professor Athanasios Katsis, and the President of the Department, Professor Angeliki Spyropoulou, conferred the doctoral degree on the honored woman. – Address by the Honorary Doctor, Mrs. Ioanna Papantoniou, titled: “Inspirations….”.
- Closing of the ceremony.