The Board of Directors of the Society of Cretan Historical Studies met today at the Historical Museum of Crete, with the message of the death of Professor Theocharis Detorakis, honorary president of the Society of Cretan Historical Studies.
Theocharis Detorakis, professor emeritus of the University of Crete, leaves a great and valuable legacy in Byzantine and cretological studies. He was professor at the Department of Philology of the University of Crete from 1978 to 2004. Chalkender scholar, devoted to science, promoted hagiology as well as Cretan historiography with numerous studies. His overall work is a benchmark for scientific research.
The president and members of the Society of Cretan Historical Studies they recalled with deep emotion the memories of the long presence and multifarious action of Theocharis Detorakis in the company. Theocharis Detorakis served from 1997 to 2009 as president of the Society of Cretan Historical Studies, in the leadership of which he succeeded Menelaus Parlamas. He was also Secretary General of the Z and the International Cretological Congresses (1991, 1996) and president of the IX International Cretological Congress (2001).
Theocharis Detorakis was for all of us a teacher, friend and supporter. Its presence and course have been and will continue to be a guide to the action of the Society of Cretan Historical Studies.
The council decided:
1) the Greek flag should be posted at half-mast for three days at the Historical Museum of Crete.
2) attend the funeral of the deceased.
3) to be organized by E.C. I.M. special honorary event to his person and work.
4) to deposit in his memory, instead of Stephen, a sum of money for the purposes of the Historical Museum of Crete.
5) that this resolution be served on his family and published in the local press.
The President, Alexis Kalokerinos
The General Secretary, Eleni Tzedaki-Apostolaki