Fifty-two archaeological sites and museum will host events such as concerts, theater performances, dance performances, poetry recitals, documentary screenings, art exhibitions, stargazing and guided tours.
On Sunday, August 22, 2021, the Ministry of Culture and Sports organizes the customary events for the August Fool Moon and opens the archaeological sites and museums to the public (with free admission) to enjoy the moonlight. Fifty-two of them will accommodate a variety of events, such as concerts and music events, theater performances, dance performances, poetry recitals, documentary screenings, art exhibitions, stargazing and guided tours.
This year‘s events, apart from the night of August 22nd, will be accompanied by events scheduled for August 20th, 21st, 23rd and 25th.
The events are implemented under the coordination of the General Directorate for Antiquities and Cultural Heritage, in collaboration with local authorities and cultural associations.
Sunday, August 22, 2021
Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace
- Archaeological Museum of Komotini (courtyard): Video – presentation of the work undertaken by the Ephorate of Antiquities of Rodopi
- Archaeological Site of Abdera: “Dead Traveler”, dramatized version of Alexandros Papadiamantis’s short story, edited by Philopoimin Andreadis
- Archaeological Site of Zone (Municipality of Alexandroupolis): Concert of Mariza Rizou. (Co-organized with the Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace – P.E. of Evros). Start Time 21.00.
- Archaeological Site of Kali Vrisi: Music event titled “In the Moon’s Dream”, 20.30 – 24.00
- Archaeological Site of the Acropolis of Platania: Stargazing – Astrophysical observation of the full moon from 20.30 to 24.00
Region of Central Macedonia
- Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki: Outdoors classical music Concert from 21:00 to 23:00
- Museum of Byzantine Culture: Music Event. The musical trio consisting of guitarist-singer Giorgos Karavellakis, Pianist Giorgos Tzaxetta and singer Niki Dousopoulou will present songs of great composers and young rising creators. Booking on the phones 2313306421, 2313396422.
- Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai (Vergina): Concert with Haig Yazdjian and Yannis Tsanasidis with music from Iraq, Syria, Armenia and the Black Sea in the framework of the Music Festival “AIGAI FESTIVAL – THE RESTS OF M.LAXANDROU”
- Ancient Theater of Mieza: Tribute to Dionysios Solomos with Poems, Texts and Letters Recited by Th. Gkonis, P. Karasoulos and L. Nikolakopoulou. Music by Giorgos Andreou.
- Ancient Pydna: “Concert with the full moon” from Society of Pierian Studies ”Estia Pieridon Musson”
- Ancient Akanthos, Old Village (“Palio Chorio”): Music Night
- Ano Apostoloi Kilkis (Ancient Morrylos): Screening of the film “Our last Tango” by the director German Kral, in collaboration with the Municipality of Kilkis, the Macedonian Artistic Company “Art” and the Cultural Association of Ano Apostoloi. The screening will take place at the outdoor space of the Elementary School of Ano Apostoloi, Kilkis, at 21.00.
Region of Western Macedonia
- Aiani Archaeological Museum (courtyard): Musical-theatrical performance titled “Because of Love”, based on an idea by Konstantinos Tsonopoulos and Efthymis Christou and directed by Efthymis Christou.
- Hellenistic City of Florina: Event with the musical ensemble of the Florina Conservatory, in collaboration with the Municipality of Florina
- House Museum of Dispilio Lakeside Neolithic Settlement, Kastoria: Music event with Kostas Makedonas titled: “I go out… to the lake with a Full Moon” in collaboration with the Municipality of Kastoria (free admission)
Region of Epirus
- Archaeological Museum of Arta (courtyard): Music event. Start time: 21:00
- Archaeological Site of Dodoni-Ancient Stadium: Music event “Harvest Season” with Natassa Bofiliou. In the context of the 5th Dodoni Festival 2021. Organized by the Municipality of Dodoni
- Archaeological Site “Passarona” Megalo Gardiki, Municipality of Zitsa: Music event at the Acropolis of Gardiki. Organized by the Municipality of Zitsa
- Archaeological Site of the Inner Acropolis of the Ioannina Castle: Music event “Moon Dust” with works by A. Dvořák, C. Debussy, K. Weill, R. Rodgers, M. Hadjidakis on the theme of the moon. Participants: Maria Tsironi vocals, Apostolos Dimitriou, clarinet, Apostolos Papapetros, double bass, Lambrina Prevezianou, piano. Organized by the Cultural Center of the Municipality of Ioannina
- Archaeological Site of Nikopolis – Conservatory: Theater performance of the ancient tragedy, “ANTIGONE” by Sophocles. This is a production of the theatrical group “Point Zero” [http://simeiomiden.gr/] directed by Savvas Stroumpos. The event will take place in collaboration and co-financing with the Department of Public Health and Social Welfare of P.E. Preveza. Free Admission.
Region of Thessaly
- Timeless Museum of Larissa: Guided tour of the periodic exhibition “The return of the Muses” and presentation of poetic works with the homonymous title, published during the Greek Revolution of 1821.
- Archaeological Site of Vassiliki A ‘(Agios Dimitrios) Nea Anchialos: Theatrical performance “Andromachi” by Euripides directed by Giannis Nikolaidis. Co-organized with the Cultural Association “ANCHIALOS”
Region of Ionian Islands
- Old Fortress of Corfu: Music night dedicated to Ioannis Kapodistrias titled “I’m going back to my homeland” in the context of celebrating the 200 years since the Greek Revolution. The event is co-organized with the Municipality of Central Corfu and Diapontia Islands-Department of Culture
Region of Western Greece
- Archaeological Museum of Ancient Elis: Musical event in the atrium of the Museum entitled: “Songs on stage” (Marianna Polychronidi and Konstantinos Famis,Takis Farazis (piano), in collaboration with the Municipality of Elis. Start time 21.00.
- Chlemoutsi Castle: Music event “The secret song of the castle” in collaboration with the Institute of Art & Culture Melody Spirit,, the Region of Western Greece and the Municipality of Andravida – Kyllini. Start time: 21.00.
- Castle of Patras: Concert of the Philharmonic Orchestra of the Municipality of Kalavrita, with the collaboration of two performers. Mediterranean songs (Greek, European, Balkan), as well as songs by renowned Greek composers will be presented.
- Archaeological Site of Ancient Plevrona: Musical event entitled “Nights with a Full Moon” with Ms. Mirela Pachou, in collaboration with the Region of Western Greece and the D.I.P. Messolonghi
Region of Central Greece
- Castle of Lamia: Music event (“en Odais and La Familia)
- Acropolis of Proerna: Concert with Melina Kana and Lizeta Kalimeri
- New Archaeological Museum of Chalkida “Arethousa” (courtyard): Music event
- Skyros, Fourka, Temple of Apollo: Music event in collaboration with the Municipality of Skyros.
Region of Attica
- Numismatic Museum of Athens (courtyard): Music event “It is a Full Moon tonight” with the singer Eugenia Grima and Nectarios Dionysatos on the piano.
- National Archaeological Museum: Thematic guided tours of the Collections with exhibits related to the moon
- Agios Georgios (Omorfokklisia) of Galatsi: Event planned by the Municipality of Galatsi: “Under the Full Moon with the songs of Charoula”.
- Amphiareion – Oropos: Speech event in collaboration with the Municipality of Oropos.
- Archaeological Site of the “Tomb of Sophocles” in Varybobi: Guided tours (from 20.30 to 24.00) by an archaeologist of the Ephorate of Antiquities of West Attica. At the same time, artistic events will be held in collaboration with the Municipality of Acharnes.
Region of Peloponnese
- Archaeological Site of Ancient Mantineia: Music event “ARKADIA-CYPRUS”
- Archaeological Site of Mystras: Musical event-tribute to the traditional Smyrna rebetiko song with the 8-member orchestra of Spyros Polykandriotis.
Region of North Aegean
- Upper Castle of Mytilene: Opera “Sappho” by Charles Gounod on the Full Moon of the Sturgeon. Maria Galani (soprano), Roza Poulimenou (soprano), Dimitris Sigalos (tenor), Giannis Filias (tenor), Michalis Psyrras (baritone), Dimitris Giakas (piano, curator of the event)
- Archaeological Site of Archontiki, Psara Island: Music event
Region of Crete
- Archaeological Museum of Heraklion: Music event in the courtyard of the Museum.
- Archaeological Site of Malia: Piano recital with the soloist Konstantinos Katsoulis
- Archaeological Site of Tylissos: Jazz music night in memory of K. Kouvidis
- Rokka Archaeological Site: Chamber music concert with George Kaloudis & Thesis Trio. The Thesis trio presents a concert with vocal works by contemporary Greek composers. George Kaloudis incorporates Cretan lyre and cello in the repertoire of works in tonal / tropical style, based on poetic works of world and Greek literature.
Museums and archeological sites that will remain open to the public from 20:00 to 24:00:
Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace: Archaeological Site of Abdera (visitable section), Archaeological Site of Zone (Municipality of Alexandroupolis), Byzantine Museum of Didymoteicho, Archaeological Museum of Kavala, Archaeological Museum of Thassos, Ancient Theater of Philippi, Archaeological Museum of Drama
Region of Central Macedonia: Eptapyrgio, Archaeological Site of the tomb of Derveni (Makridi Bey), Archaeological Site of Edessa, Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Old Metropolis of Edessa), Archaeological Site of Pella, Archaeological Museum of Pella, Ancient Stageira – Olympiada of the Municipality of Aristotle, Sanctuary of Ammon Zeus – Kallithea of the Municipality of Kassandra
Region of Western Macedonia: Aiani Archaeological Museum, Archaeological collection of Dispilio, Kastoria
Region of Epirus: Archaeological Museum of Igoumenitsa, Archaeological Museum of Arta, Archaeological Museum of Nikopolis, Archaeological Site of the Necromanteion of Acheron, Archaeological Site of Kassopi, Parga Castle
Region of Thessaly: Byzantine Castle of Fanari, Archaic Temple of Apollo at Ancient Metropolis, Byzantine Castle of Trikala, Documentation and Education Center of Theopetra Cave
Region of Ionian Islands: Agios Georgios Castle, Museum of Asian Art of Corfu, Museum of Zakynthos
Region of Western Greece: Archaeological Museum of Ancient Elis, Archaeological Site of Olympia, Chlemoutsi Castle
Region of Central Greece: Archaeological Site of Delphi, Byzantine Museum of Fthiotida, Archaeological Museum of Atalanti, Archaeological Museum of Thebes, Archaeological Museum of Chaeronia, New Archaeological Museum of Chalkida “Arethousa”, Fortress of Karababa-Eretria, Karystos-Bourtzi, Archaeological Museum of Karystos, Archaeological Museum of Skyros, Skyros-Fourka-Temple of Apollo, Archaeological Site of the Castle of Skyros
Region of Attica: National Archaeological Museum, Agios Georgios (Omorfokklisia) of Galatsi, Amphiareion-Oropos, Archaeological Site of the “Tomb of Sophocles” in Varybobi, Daphni Monastery, Archaeological Museum of Piraeus, Chora Castle of Kythera
Region of Peloponnese: Archaeological Site of Ancient Corinth, Archaeological Site of Ancient Nemea, Archaeological Site of Heraion-Perachora Loutraki, Archaeological Site of Isthmia, Archaeological Museum of Tripoli, Archaeological Museum of Tegea, Site of the 2nd National Assembly of Astros, Archaeological Site of Orchomenos, House of the Mosaics – Sparta, Nestor Palace, Fortified complex of the Troupakides-Mourtzinoi in Kardamili.
Region of North Aegean: Sanctuary of Messos in Lesvos, Sanctuary of Klopedi, Lesvos, Sanctuary of Kaveiron, Lemnos, Byzantine Museum of Chios, Giustiniani Palace-Dark Prison at the Castle of Chios, Ottoman bath at the Castle of Chios, Archaeological Museum of Chios, Pitios Tower
Region of South Aegean: Garden of the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes with the epigraphic collection-Prehistoric collection and Villaragut House, Palace of the Grand Master, Archaeological Museum of Kalymnos, Archaeological Museum of Karpathos, Archaeological Museum of Kastellorizo, Archaeological Museum of Kea, Archaeological Museum of Ypsili Andros.
Region of Crete: Temporary collection of the Archaeological Museum in the Church of Saint Francis
Events on other dates:
Friday, August 20 – Region of Central Macedonia – Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai: Concert with Omit Tahmasebpour and Haig Yazdjian and their six-member orchestra with music from Persia and Egypt as part of the music festival entitled “AIGAI FESTIVAL. IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT”.
Saturday, August 21:
- Region of Ionian Islands – Castle of Agios Georgios: Music event with the choir and mandolin ensemble of Argostoli in collaboration with the Cultural Association “CASTLE OF AGIOS GEORGIOS”
- Region of Central Macedonia – Ancient Theater of Mieza: Concert with Elenore Fourniau, Efren Lopez and Ciro Montanari and their six-member orchestra with songs from Afghanistan and India as part of the music festival “AIGAI FESTIVAL. IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT”
- Region of North Aegean – Upper Castle of Mytilene: Opera “Sappho” by Charles Gounod on the Full Moon of the Sturgeon. Maria Galani (soprano), Roza Poulimenou (soprano), Dimitris Sigalos (tenor), Giannis Filias (tenor), Michalis Psyrras (baritone), Dimitris Giakas (piano, curator of the event)
- Region of Epirus – Archaeological Site of Elea: Theater event titled “The army of salvation” in collaboration with the Municipality of Souli.
Monday, August 23 – Region of Central Macedonia – Archaeological Site of Palatianos, Municipality of Kilkis: “In the light of the Moon”. Music event in collaboration with the Municipality of Kilkis – Natalia Lampadaki: voice, Giannis Papageorgiou: guitar, voice, Vassilis Ziggeridis: qanun, Start time: 21.00
Wednesday, August 25 – Region of Central Macedonia – Polykastro Baths: “When the moon rises …”. Music event with Vasiliki Vaiouli, soprano, and Nikos Zafranas, pianist, in collaboration with the Municipality of Paionia. 21.00
Leave A Comment