This album tells the history of the Faculty of Sciences of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki with emphasis on the period before the advent of the new century. From its foundation (some departments have been in operation since 1928-29) to the present day, the School has continued its course and its contribution to science, to the student youth and, in general, to the society and economy of the country.
The first chapter contains the historical review of the School, with a milestone in 1982, when the so-called Faculty of Physics and Mathematics was renamed the Faculty of Science. The second chapter gives a description of the buildings of the School, while the third chapter lists the seven departments (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geology, Computer Science) in the order of their establishment. In the last, fourth chapter, the reader will find some texts of special interest with reference to important milestones (e.g. the adventure of Law 1268/82, the earthquake of 1978 and the establishment of a seismological station at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, the history of the Central Computer Centre, etc.), which marked the existence of the academic entity of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The publication is interspersed with a wealth of photographic material, thus realizing in the best way a journey through time, and at the same time aiming at the future of a School inextricably linked to the history of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Coordination – Editor: Theodoros Karakostas
Editorial Committee: Charles-Chariton Hintiroglu, Evangelia Varella, Charalambos Varvoglis, Eleftherios Eleftheriou, Theodoros Karakostas, Polychronis Moisiadis, Spyridon Pavlidis
The following collaborated on the publication: Kalliopi Akritidou-Dokoutsi, Georgia Theochari, Panagiotis Katsaros, Anastasios Liolios, Ioannis Papadogiannis